Disability Discrimination Act
All organisations have a responsibility under the Federal Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) to provide equitable access to goods and services and to premises used by the public. If a disabled person cannot access a building or a service the owner of the building can have a claim bought against them for discrimination against the disabled person, arguing that an abled body person can access the building and therefore a disabled person should have the same access.
To overcome these difficulties the Premises Standard was introduced. This is a document referenced in the DDA, and this Standard in turn refers to the Building Code of Australia, in conjunction with Australian Standard (AS1428) – Design for Access and Mobility. All new building and buildings undergoing significant refurbishment or alteration have to comply with these documents.
To assist property owners or managers our DDA Consultants can:
- Provide advice at the preliminary design stage and provide design advice on this complex matter
- Our consultants inspect existing buildings and provide advice on access to the building and identify any potential barriers that may prevent a disabled person accessing the building.
- We also assist building managers by providing advice to prepare a space for future tenants
- On larger sites our Access consultants work with our CAD department to provide clear Accessibility Plans, identifying lifts, hearing loops, ramps and accessible toilets.
- Review of new and refurbishment building plans and surrounding environs for compliance with disability access regulations.
- Carry out building access audits and access access appraisals of existing properties to identify potential barriers to access for people with disabilities.
- Undertake Disability Access Due Diligence Reports against the Disability (Access to Premises – Buildings) Standards
- Provide practical, sensible advice on disability access issues.
- Design, Documentation & Permit consultation.
- Design and prepare Mobility Maps
- Comprehensive online resource of products to improve access to the built environment including CAD Details.